Fruit compote is my go-to dessert — it is delicious on its own and goes with everything! Besides being a sweet and healthy treat, it is very easy and quick to make. With a few ingredients and 15 minutes to spare, you can have this tangy goodness in your belly. For this recipe, you can substitute the honey for pure maple syrup to keep it vegan. I used wild honey purchased at a vendor from our local farmers’ market.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh rasberries
- 1/2 cup of fresh blackberries
- 2 Tbsp honey (or substitute with pure maple syrup for vegan recipe)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place fruit, honey, lemon juice, and vanilla in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Continue cooking, stirring often, for about 10 minutes until berries are softened.
- Sprinkle cinnamon if desired.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
You can either serve this immediately on its own or pour over ice cream, yogurt, pancakes, etc. Can also be stored in airtight container and chilled for future use.